About David Oyelowo
David Oyelowo is a British actor, producer and director best known for his portrayal of Martin Luther King Jr. in the 2014 film Selma. He has also starred in films such as A United Kingdom, The Paperboy, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and Jack Reacher. In addition to his film career, Oyelowo has had roles in a number of television series, including Spooks, The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency, and The Unit. He also has a successful voice acting career, having provided the voice of the character of Peter in the 2019 remake of the Disney classic The Lion King. Oyelowo has also been involved in numerous charitable causes, including the Elton John AIDS Foundation and the International Rescue Committee.
30 Interesting Things Most People Don’t Know About David Oyelowo
• He was the first black actor to play an incarnation of Shakespeare’s Richard II on the London stage.
• Oyelowo has been nominated for an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award and an Emmy Award.
• He was born in Oxford, England to Nigerian parents.
• He graduated from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art in 1998.
• Oyelowo is an ambassador for UNICEF UK and the Prince’s Trust.
• He is fluent in both English and Yoruba, his native language.
• Oyelowo was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2017 New Year Honours for services to drama.
• He was a part of the cast of “The Help” and played the role of Martin Luther King Jr. in “Selma”.
• Oyelowo is a Christian and has said he believes in using his fame and influence to spread the message of Jesus Christ.
• He is involved in numerous charitable initiatives, including a campaign to improve the quality of education in developing countries.
• He is a supporter of the LGBT community and has spoken out for gay rights.
• He is a vocal advocate of diversity in the entertainment industry and has been a vocal critic of Hollywood’s lack of representation of people of color.
• Oyelowo is an avid fan of the English Premier League soccer team, Arsenal.
• He has been a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences since 2017.
• Oyelowo has voiced several characters in popular animated films, including Scar in “The Lion King” and Chief Bogo in “Zootopia”.
• He was the first African actor to be featured in a major Hollywood movie, “Rise of the Planet of the Apes”.
• He was the first black actor to star in a Marvel Cinematic Universe film, playing the villain in “Captain America: Civil War”.
• Oyelowo is a fan of the television series, “Game of Thrones” and has been known to quote lines from the show.
• He is an active philanthropist and has donated considerable amounts of money to various charities.
• He is an avid reader and has said that books are some of his greatest sources of inspiration.
• Oyelowo is a fan of the British royal family and has met both Queen Elizabeth II and The Prince of Wales.